Today, people with reduced mobility are facing an unprecedented array of challenges. The ability to get around a home or place of work has changed. Now, instead of getting in a vehicle to go to work and back home, many people use a mobility device like a walker, wheelchair, scooter or bike to get around their surroundings. This article lists ways that technology is helping pmr.
5 ways that technology is helping people with reduced mobility.
- GPS Enabled : GPS devices have been around for quite some time. These are small devices with a screen that you can attach to your belt, backpack or wheelchair to help you get where you need to go. They also allow people with reduced mobility to know where they are at any given time. The problem is that most of these devices aren’t compatible with the Bluetooth version of smartphones and tablets. That means that many people are unable to take advantage of this technology because it doesn’t work on their devices. There is an easy solution though. There’s a program called Google Maps for Android Devices that will allow people who use a smartphone or tablet with a Bluetooth connection to get directions through Google Maps on their phone or tablet, no matter what device they’re using.
- Smartphones & Tablets : The number of smartphones and tablets has skyrocketed over the past few years due in part to technology making them easier and more affordable for everyone interested in owning one, but especially those who struggle with mobility issues because these gadgets make it much easier for anyone who wants one but can’t afford one on their own, but also makes it much easier for those who want one because they’re an easy way to get around.
- Computers : Computers have become more affordable and easier to use over the years, but they’re still not very accessible to the public, despite their widespread availability in homes, schools and businesses all over the country. One of the main reasons why computers aren’t more accessible is because they require a lot of knowledge on how to use them properly, but there are some programs out there that are designed specifically for people with disabilities and even make it easier for many people with disabilities to learn how to operate computers without having much trouble at all doing so.
- Cars and other Transportation : Cars, boats, planes and trains are all very accessible to people with disabilities because of their accessibility features such as lifts, ramps and lifts that can be used by people who need a bit more help.
- Home Appliances : There are a number of home appliances that are designed for people with disabilities because they’re easier to use than the standard ones. For example, some devices turn on the lights when someone is at the door or automatically turn off when someone exits a room. Some devices make it easier for people who have hearing problems or mobility problems to operate some appliances so they can live more independently in their homes or apartments without too much trouble.