Hiring a foreign domestic helper(外傭) is a growing trend in many households these days. With both parents working, households need someone to take care of their children and manage their homes. But, managing a foreign domestic helper can be a task in itself. It requires patience, understanding, and communication, which becomes even more challenging when there is a language barrier. It is essential to manage them well, especially since they are not only employees but also members of your family in many cases. In this blog post, we will guide you on how to manage a foreign domestic helper efficiently.
1. Set Clear Expectations: Before hiring a foreign domestic helper, it is crucial to outline your expectations clearly. This includes their duties, working hours, expected salary, and other relevant policies. Discuss all the terms and conditions of service so that there are no misunderstandings later. When your helper understands what you expect from her, it becomes easier for both of you to work together.
2. Communication is Key: When it comes to managing a foreign domestic helper, effective communication is critical. It is essential to keep the lines of communication open at all times. If your helper does not speak your language proficiently, try to communicate through signs, gestures, or even translation tools. Ensure that your helper understands your expectations, and you understand her responses. Lack of effective communication can lead to unnecessary misunderstandings and conflicts.
3. Respect Their Privacy: It is vital to respect your helper’s privacy and give them their space. It can be challenging for them to live in someone else’s house and work continuously. Giving them their private time and space can be very beneficial for their mental and physical wellbeing. It will also help build trust between you and your helper.
4. Show Appreciation: As an employer, it is crucial to recognize and appreciate the hard work and contribution of your foreign domestic helper. A small word of appreciation or a simple thank you can work wonders in making your helper feel valued. Providing perks like bonus pay, days off, or even simple tokens of appreciation can help foster a good working relationship.
5. Provide a Safe and Positive Working Environment: It is essential to ensure that your helper works in a safe and positive environment. This includes a clean and hygienic living space, adequate food, and proper rest. Make sure to provide the necessary tools and resources for your helper to perform their work efficiently. A positive working environment will make your helper feel comfortable and happy, leading to better productivity and a good employer-employee relationship.
Managing a foreign domestic helper can be challenging, but following these simple guidelines can help build a healthy and happy work relationship. When you manage your helpers well, they can become an essential part of your home, and you provide the support they need to thrive. Keep in mind that they are humans, too, and deserve respect and appreciation for the work they do. As an employer, your job is crucial to how you manage, communicate and support your helper. Take care of your helper, and they will take care of your home.